How common is VUR?
- Approximately 1 in 100 children are estimated to have VUR1
- Incidence of VUR in children with a history of UTI is about 20-50%2
- Up to 50% of children whose mothers have VUR and about 30% of siblings of children with VUR will also have VUR1,2
- Of those diagnosed with VUR following a UTI, 80% are girls and are on average 2 to 3 years of age1
- Light skinned children are at greater risk for VUR, compared with black children and children of Mediterranean origin2
- The prototypical patient with VUR is a Caucasian girl younger than 4 years of age with a history of UTIs1,3